Day 3 -- June 23nd -- Welches, OR to Ka-Nee-Tah, OR
Avg Speed: 13.8
Climbing: 4,780 ft
The weather was clear and very cool when we left Welches. The ride today was short but we were warned that as we crossed the passes over the Cascades, there would be very difficult climbing. The next three hours were the most physically demanding I can remember. A 2000
foot climb over 5 miles might not sound like much but it took all my effort to go 6 or 7 miles per hour. We had to do that twice. After the second climb we were over the Cascades and in a very short time into the high desert with very few trees.
The ride into Ka-Nee-Tah was a descent of about 7 miles down a winding road between rocky cliffs. In no time I was going over 40 miles an hour and terrified. I soon got used to it and it was one of the most exciting things I've done.
Ka-Nee-Tah is a large resort for Oregon people who never see the sun a hundred miles to the west. It is run by Indians and also has a casino. It was very upscale and we were told the lodgings for the rest of the trip would never be as good.



Comments
Post a Comment