Day 5--June 25--Prineville, OR to John Day, OR

Miles Ridden 117
Avg. Speed 15.6 MPH
Climbing 5520 ft.

The trip guides told us this would be the toughest ride of the trip. 117 miles with a lot of climbing and the potential for high temperatures and headwinds. Many of the people on the ride had never ridden that distance so there was a lot of anxiety. Some of the weaker riders decided to get trucked to the top of the first major hill so they could finish the ride in a reasonable time.
During the ride it became obvious why we had to go 117 miles. In all that distance we passed only two tiny villages with no facilities. It was one of the most vacant sections of the country I have seen.
We had perfect conditions on the ride. There was cloud cover that kept the temperatures down until near the end of the day and a very strong tailwind for the last 40 miles. It wasn't easy but everyone made it. After almost 8 hours of riding I was tired but not exhausted like I expected


.


The crest of one of the two major climbs just before starting downhill.
It might not sound like much to a driver but to a cyclist from Michigan it's a very big deal.Some of the great scenery

This was all there was to one of the two towns we passed in 117 miles
Me on one of the descents
The group I've been riding with

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics! I've always wanted to cycle across the country. So amazing that you're finally doing what you've dreamed of doing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment