Day 22--Hot Springs SD to Rapid City SD--July12th

Miles Ridden 75.4
Avg. Speed 13.7
Climbing 5100 Ft.
Total Miles Ridden 1589
Miles To Go 2040

The scenery was spectacular today. The riding (to paraphrase Hobbes) was nasty, brutish and thankfully, relatively short with plenty of hills, heat, headwinds and rain.
We rode into the wind and climbed seemingly interminably north from Hot Springs to Wind Cave National Park. The park is home to large elk and buffalo herds. I just missed a herd of about 200 elk which, I was told, crossed the road a little ahead of me. I did get to see a few buffalo. Everyone said it was the toughest first couple of hours of any day so far.
We then moved further north and passed by the Crazy Horse Monument. While it lives up to it's billing as the largest sculpture ever, it's been under construction since before I was born and is a long way from completion (another 200 years, I'd guess). It also seems more than a little incongruous to tear up a mountain to memorialize Crazy Horse, who tried to save this area for his people.
The route then took us up to Mount Rushmore via a back entrance which saved us from sharing the road with a lot of the motorhomes and campers coming up from Rapid City. We took the usual pictures and then used the main road to Rapid City to make a screaming descent during which I broke the 45 MPH speed limit and arrived in the tourist trap of Keystone.
There was a long, winding and steep ascent out of town which gave me a chance to observe the storm clouds building to the north and east. We had outrun storms the previous two days so
I picked up the pace to try again. I got within about six miles of Rapid City when the lightning got close and the rain started. I found a covered bench in front of a store and prepared to sit it out. First came pouring rain, then marble sized hail and high winds. The storm lasted over an hour. I think I was the only rider who didn't get wet and pelted by hail. The other riders found shelter at homes, in cars when people stopped to help them and in a barn. Up on the mountain, the hail got so deep riders couldn't pedal through it.
Everyone made it in safely although people were very tired, soaked and covered with road grime. We have what seems like a very short and easy day tomorrow to Wall SD where we should have all the time we need to enjoy Wall Drug.


Buffalo in Wind Cave National Park


Prairie dog in Wind Cave N.P.

Crazy Horse monument, his head is done and his horse's head (16 stories high) is getting close
Horse Thief Lake behind Mount Rushmore

George Washington from the back road into Mount Rushmore

All of them from the front
I decided not to do the picking George's nose pose
Hail that landed at my feet while I waited for the storm to blow over












Comments

  1. maybe you could pick up a new cup for mom at wall drug tomorrow...i think the one at home is getting a little worn out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn, I've been waiting all this time for the Washington's nose picking pose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you picked up my blankie while you were there

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment