Day 26--Chamberlain SD to Mitchell SD--July 16th
Miles Ridden 70.5
Avg Speed 19.4 MPH
Climbing 1000 Ft.
Total Miles Ridden 1917
Miles To Go 1712
Today was a short ride but we were started early due to the forecast of mid-90's temperatures by afternoon. Leaving Chamberlain we had to climb a steep hill and head due east as we left the Missouri River. With a smooth road, a slight downhill and no wind the riding was easy and fast. My usual riding group decided to relax but I was ready for a quick ride on such a perfect day so I took off by myself and finished in just over 3 and a half hours at a very fast speed (for me) and got in about 15 minutes before any one else. By now we are all familiar with South Dakota countryside, which is pleasant enough, but not memorable so I don't think I missed much sightseeing.
My early arrival gave me plenty of time to see the major attraction of Mitchell SD, the Corn Palace before it got too hot. The Corn Palace doesn't quite match the Tetons or Mount Rushmore for grandeur but it's all I've got for today. For those of you not familiar with it, the Corn Palace is a big wooden sided structure that each year for over the past hundred years is decorated with a new mural using different colored ears of corn and stalks which are attached to the side of the building by local volunteers.
A number of the riders planned to go to the Corn Palace Rodeo which was opening in town tonight. Since it was 95 degrees at 6:00 PM I decided to pass.
Tomorrow we are off to Sioux Falls SD where we will spend our third rest day on Sunday. We will be starting at first light again as the heat index in Sioux Falls is forecast for 110 on Saturday afternoon.
Avg Speed 19.4 MPH
Climbing 1000 Ft.
Total Miles Ridden 1917
Miles To Go 1712
Today was a short ride but we were started early due to the forecast of mid-90's temperatures by afternoon. Leaving Chamberlain we had to climb a steep hill and head due east as we left the Missouri River. With a smooth road, a slight downhill and no wind the riding was easy and fast. My usual riding group decided to relax but I was ready for a quick ride on such a perfect day so I took off by myself and finished in just over 3 and a half hours at a very fast speed (for me) and got in about 15 minutes before any one else. By now we are all familiar with South Dakota countryside, which is pleasant enough, but not memorable so I don't think I missed much sightseeing.
My early arrival gave me plenty of time to see the major attraction of Mitchell SD, the Corn Palace before it got too hot. The Corn Palace doesn't quite match the Tetons or Mount Rushmore for grandeur but it's all I've got for today. For those of you not familiar with it, the Corn Palace is a big wooden sided structure that each year for over the past hundred years is decorated with a new mural using different colored ears of corn and stalks which are attached to the side of the building by local volunteers.
A number of the riders planned to go to the Corn Palace Rodeo which was opening in town tonight. Since it was 95 degrees at 6:00 PM I decided to pass.
Tomorrow we are off to Sioux Falls SD where we will spend our third rest day on Sunday. We will be starting at first light again as the heat index in Sioux Falls is forecast for 110 on Saturday afternoon.




that's a long time staring at someone else's butt
ReplyDelete