Day 44--Niagara Falls NY to Henrietta NY--August 3rd
Miles Ridden 82.0
Avg. Speed 17.4 MPH
Climbing 1550 Ft.
Total Miles 3147
Miles To Go 482
Yesterday (Monday) was our last rest day of the trip. We had a chance to sleep later than normal and then my room mate, Mark, and I took a bike tour of Niagara Falls and vicinity in an attempt to dig up some memories of my college years in the area. I feel comfortable saying that the years have been kinder to me than they have been to Niagara Falls. Time and an obviously feeble economy have left blocks of abandoned houses and businesses. I couldn't find one store, service or bar from those days that was still functioning.
We rode further north to the Niagara University campus which did have quite a few new buildings including a beautiful art museum and a hockey arena among a number of other additions. We rode back on trails along the Niagara River gorge and Whirlpool. It was laundry day and the nearest laundromat was about two miles away right next to an Italian restaurant I remembered from way back. That was the one place I found that was still open. We took a cab and did our laundry while we had a forgettable dinner.
Today's ride got off to a late start because of terrible service at the Denny's where we had breakfast. That gave us nearly an extra hour of riding in the heat and humidity which were the worst of the trip so far. We left Niagara Falls through the chemical plant corridor on the south side which brought back the familiar aromas of my college years. It was at least a little comforting to know not everything has changed. I pointed out the Love Canal area to the riders as we went past and retold the story of that environmental disaster from thirty years ago to the younger ones.
We gradually got out of the suburbs and into the New York farmland. The roads were good but busier than other rural areas we've been in. There were quite a few rolling hills to deal with. The heat started to build by late morning and was a very humid 86 by noon. I tried to drink enough but ended up feeling weak and dehydrated by the time we got into the Rochester suburbs. It's supposed to be worse tomorrow so I hope we get an earlier start and I'll have to be more careful about getting enough liquids.
Tomorrow's 94 mile ride ends up near Syracuse in Liverpool.
Avg. Speed 17.4 MPH
Climbing 1550 Ft.
Total Miles 3147
Miles To Go 482
Yesterday (Monday) was our last rest day of the trip. We had a chance to sleep later than normal and then my room mate, Mark, and I took a bike tour of Niagara Falls and vicinity in an attempt to dig up some memories of my college years in the area. I feel comfortable saying that the years have been kinder to me than they have been to Niagara Falls. Time and an obviously feeble economy have left blocks of abandoned houses and businesses. I couldn't find one store, service or bar from those days that was still functioning.
We rode further north to the Niagara University campus which did have quite a few new buildings including a beautiful art museum and a hockey arena among a number of other additions. We rode back on trails along the Niagara River gorge and Whirlpool. It was laundry day and the nearest laundromat was about two miles away right next to an Italian restaurant I remembered from way back. That was the one place I found that was still open. We took a cab and did our laundry while we had a forgettable dinner.
Today's ride got off to a late start because of terrible service at the Denny's where we had breakfast. That gave us nearly an extra hour of riding in the heat and humidity which were the worst of the trip so far. We left Niagara Falls through the chemical plant corridor on the south side which brought back the familiar aromas of my college years. It was at least a little comforting to know not everything has changed. I pointed out the Love Canal area to the riders as we went past and retold the story of that environmental disaster from thirty years ago to the younger ones.
We gradually got out of the suburbs and into the New York farmland. The roads were good but busier than other rural areas we've been in. There were quite a few rolling hills to deal with. The heat started to build by late morning and was a very humid 86 by noon. I tried to drink enough but ended up feeling weak and dehydrated by the time we got into the Rochester suburbs. It's supposed to be worse tomorrow so I hope we get an earlier start and I'll have to be more careful about getting enough liquids.
Tomorrow's 94 mile ride ends up near Syracuse in Liverpool.
| The return of one of Niagara's distinguished alumni |
| Rapids in the Niagara River |
| The Niagara Gorge near campus |
| Looking down at the Whirlpool which is about three miles below the Falls. The cable car is at the top. My roommate enjoying his rest day. He really was asleep. Only a few pictures today but this one sums up the scenery Saw this truck outside Henrietta. Not sure what it's supposed to do |


Comments
Post a Comment