Day 48--Latham NY to Brattleboro VT--August 7th
Miles Ridden 79.5
Avg. Speed 14,9
Climbing 5100 Ft
Total Miles Ridden 3481
Miles To Go 148
What a beautiful day in every way. It was cool and clear when we left Latham and crossed the Hudson River into Troy NY and climbed city streets away from the river. The suburbs didn't last too long and soon we were in green rolling country on Route 7 on our way to Vermont. We crossed the state line just west of Bennington. It was clear we were in New England or at least Vermont after arriving in Bennington. Old churches and buildings, no fast food places on the outskirts of town, more Subarus than I have ever seen and a whole different earnest look to the people.
Just east of Bennington we started climbing the Green Mountains. By altitude these hills don't match the mountains of the west but the first and biggest climb rose 1800 feet over about five miles which was a pretty good test. I felt much better on this climb than I did on similar climbs out west as I never really got out of breath. The weather stayed cool, the sky clear and the wind was blowing out of the west at our backs.
The scenery and views were great, particularly from Hogback Mountain. The roads varied from very smooth with wide shoulders to badly broken up with not much room for cyclists. The traffic built during the day and was almost exclusively out of state tourists. The last fifteen miles to Brattleboro were downhill with the possibility of going extremely fast. As the ride gets closer to the end, I'm much more careful about high speeds and just want to get finished in one piece so I kept it pretty slow.
After a great ride we finished with lunch in the very old and bustling town of Brattleboro which is a place I would like to visit again. Tommorow we go to Manchester New Hampshire and the trip is almost over.
Avg. Speed 14,9
Climbing 5100 Ft
Total Miles Ridden 3481
Miles To Go 148
What a beautiful day in every way. It was cool and clear when we left Latham and crossed the Hudson River into Troy NY and climbed city streets away from the river. The suburbs didn't last too long and soon we were in green rolling country on Route 7 on our way to Vermont. We crossed the state line just west of Bennington. It was clear we were in New England or at least Vermont after arriving in Bennington. Old churches and buildings, no fast food places on the outskirts of town, more Subarus than I have ever seen and a whole different earnest look to the people.
Just east of Bennington we started climbing the Green Mountains. By altitude these hills don't match the mountains of the west but the first and biggest climb rose 1800 feet over about five miles which was a pretty good test. I felt much better on this climb than I did on similar climbs out west as I never really got out of breath. The weather stayed cool, the sky clear and the wind was blowing out of the west at our backs.
The scenery and views were great, particularly from Hogback Mountain. The roads varied from very smooth with wide shoulders to badly broken up with not much room for cyclists. The traffic built during the day and was almost exclusively out of state tourists. The last fifteen miles to Brattleboro were downhill with the possibility of going extremely fast. As the ride gets closer to the end, I'm much more careful about high speeds and just want to get finished in one piece so I kept it pretty slow.
After a great ride we finished with lunch in the very old and bustling town of Brattleboro which is a place I would like to visit again. Tommorow we go to Manchester New Hampshire and the trip is almost over.
![]() | |
| On the Hudson River bridge between Watervliet and | Troy |
![]() | |
| One more state to go |
![]() |
| Vermont Route 9 with the Green Mountains looming |
![]() |
| Barn on top of a silo west of Bennington. Not sure what it's supposed to mean |
| First Congregational Church in Bennington |
![]() |
| Where the Appalachian Trail crosses Route 9. Kathie says she would like to hike it's length next year. |
| Mark and I on Hogback Mountain |
![]() |
| Covered bridge in West Brattleboro |
| Downtown Brattleboro |






Comments
Post a Comment